The ABS Mission
- To provide a source of information on the identification, propagation, utilization, culture and appreciation of bamboos. To disseminate and store this information, the Society maintains a list of references and publishes a Magazine and an online Journal.
- To promote the utilization of a group of desirable species by development of stocks of plants for distribution to botanical gardens and introduction to the general public.
- To preserve and increase the number of bamboo species in the United States.
- To plant and maintain bamboo gardens to display the characteristic beauty of mature plants and to provide plant material for research in the taxonomy, propagation and culture of as large a number of species as possible.
- To support bamboo research in the field and to establish whatever facilities are deemed necessary to carry out the research projects approved by the Directors.